The Higher Will

By Edgar A. Guest


There is much we cannot see.

There is much we cannot know.

Why the sorrow has to be?

Why the heart must suffer so?

But faith blossoms out of pain

As the flowers after rain.


If God granted every prayer,

Made the will of man supreme,

Then more terribly unfair

Would the hurts and sorrows seem.

By the good allowed to me

Countless others wronged might be.


Falty judgment ours at best,

Since so much we cannot know.

None has ever rightly guessed

Whether good or ill the blow.

To grant all for which we plead

Might to greater sorrow lead.


Since we cannot understand

Why the disappointments fall,

For what purpose they are planned,

Faith must strengthen one and all,

Trusting God's will rather than

The self-serving will of man.

2 comments:

  1. Thats a really good one. I will have to put that in my book of poems.
    See you tomorrow!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there, this is my first visit to your blog and I decided to comment. If you're wondering how I found your blog, it was through the By Grace Alone blog. I really love that poem you shared in the post. The line, "faith blossoms out of pain" has been so true in my life. I am homeschooled as well and would appreciate it if you'd take a moment to drop by my blogspot.

    ReplyDelete