My New Bunny Curio

Curio was about 4 weeks old when (he/she) got out of its cage at the Young’s while we were watching the Farm for them. At that time Rachel had two Dutch rabbits with the same colored babies. Dad found it and put it in “its cage”. Mom came by the next day and saw the baby sitting by the door of the cage. She soon discovered the problem and set it in the right cage. But the baby hadn’t had milk, water, or food for one whole day. It also had a bite on its neck (from the wrong mother rabbit), left side, and ear as well as a possibly broken leg.
It couldn’t hop around the wire cage very well, so when I came over of course I took it under my “wing” and brought it home to be taken care of. This was my first rabbit that I had ever hand fed. I found out that the best thing to do was to feed it 10 -15 ml of goats milk twice a day. Once in the morning around 7 a.m. and once around 7 p.m. I enjoyed it very much and Curio adopted me as its mother.
In a week we found out that its leg was fine, but its bites had developed abscess. So we tried to clean and treat them. By week 3 there was not much change, so we took Curio to the vet for some antibiotics. After a week of medicine we saw a great improvement, but not enough to clear it completely. So off we went to the vet again for some more medication. If Curio was over a year old they would rather cut the abscesses off, but for now the antibiotics will have to do.
Curio has improved very well! One abscess on the neck has dissipated completely and the other drains pretty well now. Curio will most likely have to have the abscess cut off some time in the future.
Thanks to the Reilly's we now have a cage for it as well.
It was very nice of Rachel to let me keep it! Curio loves to fallow me around and even comes when I call. Every day I get little kisses too!







Curio has very good markings and can still b bred. I think Curio is a boy, but its still a bit soon to tell.
So yes the Bryan Clan has had another unexpected animal land in their laps again. (I don’t mind… really!) Curio is now 6 ½ weeks old, weighing over 3 ounces and still as curious as ever.

6 comments:

  1. That is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!!!!!!!!! Love the pictures. Sorry for the many o's, we are playing Bibleopoly and in a silly mood. Connor said we have a cook book with a rabbit stew! :)
    Samantha
    Ps
    How is she any way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/15/2008

    Cute!!! I used to have a Dutch rabbit. They can be fun pets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an absolutely adorable little rabbit! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9/16/2008

    Oh my goodness, Curio is so cute!!
    He has the most adorable little baby face! That must have really been fun hand feeding him/her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curio is doing very good. Two abscess are gone, but there is a large lump below her left ear that will most likely have to be removed latter. We'll soon have to make an out door area for it to live.
    No, Connor its not being cooked. Besides its only 2 months old and barely 5 ounces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9/22/2008

    Very cute pictures! So glad Curio has such a good mama.

    Carolyn Y

    ReplyDelete