Our Growing Garden!

This is our second garden in two years. Our garden this year did much better then last years' "garden". This year I thought it would be more cost effective if I started getting more heirloom varieties instead of the hybrids. This year I tied out Amish Paste (a Roma type tomato), Silvery Fir Tree ( a small slicing tomato), King of the North (a sweet pepper), and Tiger eye (dry beans). I had a lot of "left overs from previous years so I tried to get rid of some of them this last year. It didn't work very well, I still have about one years' supply of 4 different lettuces, 3 different types of carrots and other random assortments.



I did 15 3x3' boxes with a 3' walking area around each set of 5 boxes...


Yes, there's Curio now a year old! He was kick out of the garden for a while because of his love of pepper stems, onions, digging and other destructive pass times.

Dad came up with this really great idea for the peppers and tomato plants. We built these 3' high structures with the top and two sides covered in heave duty plastic. We also had a wooden pole in the center to keep the roof up and water flowing a way from the planter.
It work wonders!


Below is my late last minute idea of planting a cucumber plant in early June. It grew really well and gave me over ten cucumbers. Below is my King of the North peppers. They grew wonderfully. I dried most of them and cooked with the rest. I had a few finally turned red inside after I picked them. Which is more then I ever got in years before.


This year I planted 'Black-seeded Simpson and was very pleased with it! It isn't a heirloom, but it did work very well.
Above is my Silvery Fir Tree tomato. They didn't seem to like being in pots on the porch so next year I think I'll have them in the garden with the others. They do have very beautiful foliage though!



To the left and below is my Amish Paste tomatoes they grew like weeds! I kept trimming them back but they kept growing! Some of the tomatoes weighed 1 pound! The plants themselves reached well over 5 feet high.

With out the Lord's mercy and grace we wouldn't have had any of this bounty!

"Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing." Psalm 107:21-22

4 comments:

  1. I have to say I think it is so amazing that your garden is growing this well in the weather we have been having latly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-P O.K. so I got a little behind on my blogging. I'll post our chicken coop and chickens next time. Then you can't say it's that out of date... Well maybe a little. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those tomatoes are huge!! Curio is so cute. :) Good job on the photography.

    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Stephanie. The Amish Paste reached up to 1 pound! That type is only suppose to reach 3-4 oz.
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete