My Catechism With Proofs Or Confession of Faith

One of the most helpful and interesting ways to learn exactly what you believe is to put together a catechism. My brother and I have been working on one using “A Catechism with proofs by Charles Haddon Spurgeon”. William Collins and Benjamin Keach originally put it together in 1693. By 1738 the catechism (or Confession of Faith) was adopted by the Philadelphia Association of Baptists in America, the center of all Baptist Churches in America. Later in 1855 Spurgeon edited and reprinted it.
I thought I would show you some of it as I compose my own Catechism or Confession of Faith.


1. What is the Chief end of man?

- Man’s chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever.

“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven.”
Matthew 5:16

“For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.”
I Corinthians 6:20

“And what ever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.”
Colossians 3:17

“My soul longs, yes, even faints for the courts of the Lord: My heart and my flesh cries out for the living God.”
Psalm 84:2

“Whom have I in heaven but You?
And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
My flesh and my heart fail: but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”
Psalm 73:25-26

2. What rule has God given to direct us how we may glorify and enjoy Him.

- The Word of God, which is contained in the Scripture of the Old and New Testament, (1) is the only rule to direct us how we may glorify God and enjoy Him. (2)

1. “And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ being the Chief cornerstone.”
Ephesians 2:20

“Rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.”
Colossians 2:7

2. “That which we have seen and heard, declare we unto you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.”
1 John 1:3

“If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified.”
1 Peter 4:14

No comments:

Post a Comment